On September 1, 2020, the Ukrainian Geological Company started work on the international hydrogeological project EU-WATERRES “Integrated EU management system for transboundary groundwater resources and anthropogenic hazards” ( EU – integrated management system of cross – border groundwater resources and anthropogenic hazards »)
The overall objective of the EU-WATERRES project is to promote coordinated management and integrated protection of transboundary groundwater by creating a geographic information platform. The EU-WATERRES platform will be an integrated GIS modeling environment for creating digital hydrogeological maps and modeling the quantity and quality of transboundary groundwater. The project will create 2 cross-border clusters representing two regions: the Baltics and Eastern Europe.
Completion of works on the project is planned for December 31, 2023.
Leading partner – Polish Geological Institute – National Research Institute.
The project is funded by the EEA and the Norwegian Grant Fund for Regional Cooperation.
The planned result of the project is:
- the concept of unification of hydrogeological databases;
- assessment of transboundary groundwater flows;
- coordinated monitoring of the transboundary groundwater program;
- mutual learning to catalyze the development of tools for exploration, mapping, balancing and groundwater management;
- geoinformation platform;
- recommendations for stakeholders on the coordinated use and integrated protection of transboundary groundwater.
The project No.2018-1-0137 “EU-WATERRES: EU-integrated management system of cross-border groundwater resources and anthropogenic hazards” benefits from a € 2.447.761 grant Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway through the EEA and Norway Grants Fund for Regional Cooperation. The aim of the project is to promote coordinated management and integrated protection of transboundary groundwater by creating a geoinformation platform.