On September 1, 2020, the Ukrainian Geological Company started work on the international hydrogeological project EU-WATERRES “Integrated EU management system for transboundary groundwater resources and anthropogenic hazards” ( EU – integrated management system of cross – border groundwater resources and anthropogenic hazards »)
The overall objective of the EU-WATERRES project is to promote coordinated management and integrated protection of transboundary groundwater by creating a geographic information platform. The EU-WATERRES platform will be an integrated GIS modeling environment for creating digital hydrogeological maps and modeling the quantity and quality of transboundary groundwater. The project will create 2 cross-border clusters representing two regions: the Baltics and Eastern Europe.
Completion of works on the project is planned for December 31, 2023.
Leading partner – Polish Geological Institute – National Research Institute.
The project is funded by the EEA and the Norwegian Grant Fund for Regional Cooperation.
The planned result of the project is:
- the concept of unification of hydrogeological databases;
- assessment of transboundary groundwater flows;
- coordinated monitoring of the transboundary groundwater program;
- mutual learning to catalyze the development of tools for exploration, mapping, balancing and groundwater management;
- geoinformation platform;
- recommendations for stakeholders on the coordinated use and integrated protection of transboundary groundwater.